Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Remake Watch 2009: Poltergeist, Paprika

Shock Till You Drop exclusively revealed that the remake of Tobe Hooper's Poltergeist will be arriving in theaters on November 24th, 2010. I haven't watched Poltergeist in a long time, which I really feel like I should do before I bother having much of an opinion on it, although at one time writer Nick Prescott said it was one of his favorite films of the 1980s.

Moviehole also informs the world about Wolfgang Petersen's apparent interest in regurgitating Satoshi Kon's Paprika. Since I haven't seen that at all, I don't have much to say about it either, but it seems like it could go either way. The movie is supposed to be weird and trippy, and I imagine it would only be more weird and trippy when realized in live action (at least, I assume it would be, since Petersen is a live-action filmmaker -- the article is unclear). Of course, on the other hand, it might just prompt the studio to demand the trippiness (i.e. visual effects) be toned back to save on budget.

Remake Watch 2009:
20 film remakes announced
4 film remakes released
2 tv remakes released
1 reboot announced
2 reboots released
1 remakes announced/released direct-to-DVD
1 TV remake

A "reboot" is defined by Remake Watch as a new attempt at a film series with new actors playing old characters (thus, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Race to Witch Mountain are excluded). Sequels to remakes (The Pink Panther 2, Halloween 2) are ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment