Friday, July 17, 2009

Whip It good?



I don't believe in Fox Searchlight. They've put out some good movies, but they're also becoming as bad as 20th Century Fox with their insistence on turning quirk into a commodity.

I don't believe in Diablo Cody. You're probably thinking, 'but Diablo Cody didn't write this movie!' Yeah, she did. Prove to me that Shauna Cross and Lorene Scafaria aren't Diablo Cody. I bet you can't do it, can you? Didn't think so. Time's up.

And I really don't believe in Ellen Page. Her biting cynicism is just the right kind of cyanide to kill the earnestness and joy in a film. I'd love to see her come out of her shell and really put something up on the screen, because it'd probably be really raw and intense, but she just seems guarded all the time.

On the other hand, I do believe in Drew Barrymore. It's clear that her enthusiasm and spunk are genuine, and I get plenty of that in the above trailer. Is it enough to make me want to see the movie? I don't know. I'd guess probably not in theaters. But the trailer didn't repulse me the way I was expecting it to.

Also, it's got Future Man in it!

Whip It! opens October 9th, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment