Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Remake Watch 2009: Harvey, The Orphanage, Gunsmoke, Enter the Dragon

This news is several days old, but I'm lazy: Steven Spielberg will be directing a remake of Harvey for DreamWorks and 20th Century Fox. I haven't seen Harvey since I was in the 8th grade, but I remember enjoying it. In my opinion, the original is held in a weird sort of light esteem that would seem to counteract the possibility that Spielberg will make any sort of impact with a repeat telling, but then again, he's Steven Spielberg, so you never know. I didn't like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in theaters and I kind of hated it on DVD, but I'm hoping that the first Tintin movie will be an awesome return to form.

Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter has an update about Larry Fessenden's remake of The Orphanage, which I've been meaning to watch. Spanish auteur Guillermo Del Toro seems to be as involved with the remake as he was with the original (i.e. lots), so hopefully it won't suck.

Lastly, Ain't It Cool News is reporting that John Wayne's Gunsmoke is about to get a redo. Say what you will about me, being a film writer and all, but I've yet to see a John Wayne picture. Westerns were never my favorite. Yeah, yeah, yeah, quit whining, I'll get to them sooner rather than later.

As a side note, Latino Review has revived talk of the Enter the Dragon remake. Oh well. Color me uninterested. The original is about Bruce Lee, not the plot or anything else in it, and without Lee, there's really nothing worth talking about.

I briefly considered posting a picture of PJ Harvey with this article, but then I didn't.

Remake Watch 2009:
18 film remakes announced
4 film remakes released
2 tv remakes released
1 reboot announced
2 reboots released
1 remakes announced/released direct-to-DVD
1 TV remake

A "reboot" is defined by Remake Watch as a new attempt at a film series with new actors playing old characters (thus, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Race to Witch Mountain are excluded). Sequels to remakes (The Pink Panther 2, Halloween 2) are ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment